Al Que Quiere Event Follow Up

by Tom Bivin on November 21, 2017 · 0 comments


Displaying Cohen.jpg


The museum held a very successful presentation last Saturday (11/18) with Jonathan Cohen presenting on the “Centennial Edition — AL QUE QUIERE!”

There was a small but intimate audience for Jonathan’s 45-minute Power Point on William Carlos Williams notable 1917 book of poems. This book of poems became sought after by writers and poets just as literary scholars had looked to Walt Whitman’s iconic “Leaves of Grass” for inspiration, Cohen said.

In the audience were people from surrounding communities of Nutley and Secaucus. An enthusiatic audience included Stephen W. Hahn, PhD, professor in the Department of English, William Paterson University, and Jim Klein and Zorida Mohammed of the Red Wheelbarrow Poets.Rod Leith, the Rutherford Borough Historian, introduced Cohen, who is of the teaching staff of the State University of New York, Stony Brook Campus and is an award winning translator of Latin American poetry.

Following a book signing sesion, Leith presented Cohen with a copy of the Rutherford Historic Preservation Committee’s Historic Commemorative ornament of William Carlos Williams 9 Ridge Road.
The afternoon’s program kept with tradition with Zorida Mohammed presenting Cohen with a bouquet of her lucious Amorello flowers.


Displaying Flowers.jpg

Displaying WCW.jpg


The Williams Carlos Williams Historic Tour will be conducted on Saturday morning, November 18. The tour will precede a special presentation by the author Jonathan Cohen at 2 PM at the Meadowlands Museum. Copies of Cohen’s latest book, “Centennial Edition: AL QUE QUIERE! Will be Available.
RESERVATIONS NEEDED: Participants of the tour are asked to sign up for the tour at the Rutherford Borough Clerk’s Office, 176 Park Avenue between 9 AM and 4 PM Monday-Friday (The maximum number of participants is 25)
TOUR TIME 11:30 AM to 1 PM Important: Participants are asked to be at the Rutherford Public Library at 11 AM The bus will leave the library at 11:30 AM. The tour will end at 1 PM at the Meadowlands Museum. A box lunch will be made available at the museum. A modest donation to cover the cost of the box lunch will be requested.
WHERE: The tour begins at Rutherford Public Library and ends at the Meadowlands Museum. It will cover the historic neighborhoods of Williams Carlos Williams, from his boyhood to his years as the famed doctor-poet. Special features of the tour will include the official birthplace of William Carlos Williams; the home of Thaddeus Marshall, the black street peddler who was the inspiration for the internationally known poem, “The Red Wheelbarrow;” and a visit to the Permanent Williams Carlos Williams Exhibit at the Meadowlands Museum, 91 Crane Avenue.
AL QUE QUIERE!” is a collection of poems by William Carlos Williams, which he subtitled, “To Whom It May Concern.” It was published in 1917 by First Seas Press and it now out in a Centennial Edition published by New Directions. 30 copies of the ND book, which was edited by Jonathan Cohen.


Displaying AlQueQuiere.jpg





Image result for the red wheelbarrow 10 year anniversary issue


WHAT? Join the William Carlos Williams Poetry Symposium and the Meadowlands Museum in celebrating a launch of the Red Wheelbarrow Poets #10 anthology. The afternoon will feature readings from many of the 52 area poets included in the anthology, as well as an open mic.

WHO? The Red Wheelbarrow Poets began as the WCW Poetry Cooperative of Southern Bergen County which was co-founded by poet John J. Trause and Jane Fisher, then-director of the Rutherford Library, during a revival of poetry in Rutherford that followed the fi rst WCW Poetry Symposium in 2005. The Cooperative, now the Red Wheelbarrow Poets, has held monthly readings at the Williams Center since 2006 and at Rutherford’s GainVille café since 2009. For 11 years, the group’s editor-in-chief, poet Jim Klein, has moderated weekly poetry workshops. This year’s featured poet is Janet Kolstein, whose poetry has been published in Instigatorzine, Lips, The Poetry of Place: North Jersey in Poetry, and the Newstead Abbey Byron Society Review. She is a member of both the American and International Byron Society. An artist as well, she is a member of the hob’art cooperative gallery in Hoboken, NJ, and exhibits throughout the tri-state area. Her collage work is featured on the cover and throughout the #10 anthology.

WHEN? November 4, 2017, 1 – 4 PM. An open mic and a reception with refreshments follow the featured reading, and books will be available for purchase.

WHERE? The Meadowlands Museum, 91 Crane Avenue in Rutherford. The Meadowlands Museum is home to the William Carlos Williams Room, the first permanent exhibit dedicated to the poet-doctor’s legacy. The exhibit contains objects never before displayed, including his highchair and cradle, plus medical equipment. For more information, call the Museum at 201-935-1175.


Find the Red Wheelbarrow Poets Here:

Blog: • Facebook: Twitter:

{ 1 comment }

The new exhibit at the Meadowlands Museum is now open until Spring 2018! Come check out Rutherford’s Preservation: Successes and Losses during your next visit. This exhibit explores the historic preservation of some of Rutherford’s iconic structures, like Iviswold Castle, and the unfortunate loss of others, like The Maples and Schermerhorn House.


Displaying Meadowlands Museum.png


Saturday, Oct. 7: Poetry Event

by Tom Bivin on September 28, 2017 · 2 comments

Displaying Trause flyer.jpeg


Saturday, Oct. 14: Annual Scarecrow Day

by Tom Bivin on September 16, 2017 · 0 comments

Displaying Picture1.png


On Saturday October 14 th , from 11 am-2 pm, the Meadowlands Museum will host its
annual Scarecrow Day, an event that is plenty of fun for families, scout troops, and all
those who are young at heart. Participants will make scarecrows using a combination of
hay, old clothes and imagination! The museum provides all the materials needed, but
guests are invited to bring items to make their scarecrows as unique as possible like
tiaras, hats or even a team t-shirt. Scarecrows will be available on a first come first serve
basis, unless otherwise reserved in advance. Given the limited number of scarecrows,
reserving your scarecrow in advance is strongly recommended.
Admission to the event is $20 per scarecrow, and it is recommended that no more than
six people work on each scarecrow. Light refreshments will be available.
The Museum (located at 91 Crane Avenue, Rutherford) is open to the public during the
event, and admission is free to see the exhibits for those participating in the scarecrow
building. For other visitors that day there is a recommended $5 per adult, $3 per child
Come join us for this fun fall event. For further information and registration please
contact Robin at 201-321- 2756.


Saturday, Sept. 23 – John McParland WWII Speaker

by Tom Bivin on September 16, 2017 · 0 comments


On Saturday September 23rd, the Meadowlands Museum will host a special event featuring guest speaker/historian John McParland who will be talking about WWII and the 81 men whose names appear on the World War II monument in Rutherford’s Lincoln Park.  The monument was dedicated on Memorial Day in 1951.


The talk is scheduled from 2-4 pm and will give all who attend an understanding about each of these Rutherford men who dies during the war.  McPartland has a keen interest in WWII and has researched the lives of each of these veterans.


John McParland is a long time resident of Rutherford who is employed by an international container shipping line.  He and his wife, Joanne, have four school aged children.



The Meadowlands Museum (located at 91 Crane Avenue, Rutherford) is a small, non-profit museum dedicated to interpreting the history of our area, the Meadowlands Museum relies on the ongoing support of the local community, through donations and memberships.  Each year, the Meadowlands Museum welcomes hundreds of children and adults, helping them connect to the historical and cultural sense of place that is the Meadowlands region.  Founded in 1961 to connect school children with their community, the Museum continues the work that began with that single inspiration.


In addition to this event, the Meadowlands Museum is open every Wednesday and Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm, and is open to the public.  There is a recommended donation for visitors or $5 per adult, $3 per child.  The Museum office phone is 201-935-1175.



Robin Reenstra-Bryant

Secretary, Meadowlands Museum Board of Trustees




Displaying American Legion.jpg


Rutherford Labor Day Street Fair This Monday

by Tom Bivin on August 30, 2017 · 0 comments

Check out the Meadowlands Museum’s table this year at the Labor Day Street fair on Monday, Labor Day, August 4, 2017!

Displaying Picture1.png

You can find us next at our table shared with the Historic Preservation Committee on Lincoln Ave close to Park Ave by the memorial cannon.


We will have a variety of merchandise, including t-shirts, ornaments, and Rutherford 75th Anniversary commemorative plates, as well as historic items including teapots and teacups, date books with iconic photos of Rutherford, and town maps.


Visit this site for full details on Rutherford’s Street Fair:


Kearny, NJ Firehouse Visit

by Tom Bivin on August 29, 2017 · 0 comments

Displaying IMG_20170826_134037118.jpg              Displaying IMG_20170826_134206368.jpg

Thanks to the Kearny Fire Department, and especially Fire Chief Robert Osborn, for giving us a great tour of their restored firehouse, which now serves as a museum and meeting hall! The photo on the left shows the mat that would catch people jumping out of burning buildings (though is now covered with patches), and the photo on the right shows the fire helmets of retired firemen and women, as well as hanging pictures of notable fires that were fought in Kearny. Below is a photo of some of the earliest fire helmets dating back to the late 1800s-early 20th century. Did you know that each man’s head is measure to create a helmet with an individualized precise fit?!

Thank you Kearny Fire Department for all you do for the community and preserving this wonderful part of Meadowlands history!


Displaying IMG_20170826_141357742.jpg